Interesting facts about Glenbower Wood:
- It was in the ownership of the DeCapell family from 1182 until 1933, that’s seven hundred and fifty one years!!!! They were an Anglo-Norman family and lived at Aghadoe House.
- We have Sequoiadendron giganteum trees (that’s a giant Redwood to you and me) in our wood. These are native to California and one specimen is the largest tree in Glenbower Wood. Look out for its walrus trunks!!
- There were tennis courts in the wood, used by the DeCapell family of Aghadoe and the Uniacke family of Castletown House.
- The now drained lake was used to power the corn mill located behind the ‘Old Thatch’ pub.
- There is a holy well and mass rock located north of the Metal Bridge.
Find Us & Opening Hours
|7 days a week|