“His ability as an officer is of the highest order. … As a soldier, I consider him a model.”
In 1868, shortly after J.J.Coppinger led his troops through the wild Idaho countryside, he was brevetted Colonel for ‘the zeal and energy which he displayed in command of troops operating against hostile locals.’
Today, his spirit lives on inside the enclosed walls of J.J.Coppinger’s Bar, Main Street, Midleton, East Cork. On November 30th, we introduce a new spirit, that of Slane Whiskey, who have recently brought the highest quality whiskey back to the Boyne Valley for generations to come.
In fact, Midleton and the Boyne Valley share much in common. Both have a longstanding legacy of artisan crafts and are on the frontier of the food movement. And of course, Midleton’s J.J.Coppinger and the sprawling woodland of the mythical River Boyne know all about historical battles.
Set on the legendary grounds of Slane Castle in County Meath, Slane Whiskey Distillery pays homage to the resilient nature of its heritage and its surrounding lands while J.J. Coppinger’s, located in a stately historic building, stands in celebration of a hometown hero, the fearless Irish who fought in the American Civil War.
Come join us for yet another immersively entertaining evening of whiskey tasting. And we’re ‘upping the ante’ even more…..
- The people behind Slane Whiskey will explore the history and heritage of Slane, the Conyngham family and of course Slane Castle.
- Guests will then be entertained by a LIVE DEMO of Char Sui pork belly with a whiskey-tinged sauce.
- As we explore the flavour of a triple-casked blend, we will taste alongside whiskey-cured salmon blini with horseradish creme fraiche and dill sprig.
- If that wasn’t enough, we will serve Irish coffee, accompanied by a dark chocolate & orange zest browny.
- Once more, we will have two great prizes up for grabs at the end of the night followed by music by The Jackdaw Sessions.