The Old Thatch, Killeagh
The Old Thatch, Killeagh is a traditional thatched pub and restaurant serving quality bistro food at affordable prices.
The Thatch has been operating as a public house since 1650. The pub is filled with quirks and oddities that hint at the building’s storied past. For instance, a deer head caught by a previous owner in 1851 is mounted on the wall. There are stone walls and old barrels still visible behind the bar.
The Old Thatch must be one of the oldest licensed premises in Ireland. At Castlemartyr Quarter sessions in 1867 the then owner of the premises, John Conway applied for a renewal of his licence. It was refused on the grounds that the premises were being used to harbour Fenians. He stated in his submission that his house had been licences for over two hundred years without complaint. Nevertheless, the presiding magistrate withheld the licence. The present owners the Sweeney family can trace ownership as far back as the mid 1700′s.
12:00 - Late